Monday, October 1, 2012

"Heroes"

Was walking down Main St. off of Westport, and saw an open window in an abandoned building. I asked myself why the window was open. A flood of guesses rushed through my mind until I realized I was no longer looking at the buildings as a landscape, but rather as a character.

I began seeing the "character" of the city, and a story emerged. What if one person could see the character of the city? How would they interact? What conflicts would they have? If a person can see the character of the city, then how do they interact with the rest of the natural world?

I have definitely arrived at the "first wave" of creativity, because I see this character as a kind of superman. Being a human in what many could consider an imaginary world, makes this person someone who can make an impact on both realities. Playing with this idea of an imaginary world, children see the world in such a way. I'm interested in this character being childish, even if they're older. Having grown up with knowing the city as a character, they would be truly unique if they never grew out of that.

The challenge remains to figure out what interactions such and individual would have. I want to keep the idea playful and child-like. I think if I present this character having a childish mentality, then it will be easier for the audience to accept their imaginative world.

It could be appropriate for this character to consider themselves a hero. If they're the only ones who perceive the characters of the city, then he/she would feel a sense of obligation to protect and defend those characters while the rest of the world seems to ignore them.

Outline (Beat List)
Hero is waiting at the bus stop
Person walks up
Asks if Hero if he/she needs a ride
"No I'm waiting for my sister to pick me up"
Person drives away
Hero "hears" cry for help [animated word gets attention]
Sees character being mugged by other characters
Looks around
No One Else Responds
Rushes In To Help
Fights Off Muggers
Character Kisses Hero In Thanks
Muggers crawl into Building's Texture
Muggers Turn Into Graffiti Monster
Battle ensues
Hero Delivers Finishing Combo
In middle of attack, audience sees hero alone [they see it's all in his head]
Sister Pulls Up
Calls Hero into car
Hero obeys
As car Drives away, audience sees the victimized character waving goodbye in thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment