Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Advertising Research

One thing I've always found interesting is Korean & Japanese commercials, particularly advertisements for energy drinks and specialized beverages. Many of these commercials appear to have very little to do with showcasing the benefits of the product. Of course, I'm limited by not being able to understand the native language or get all of the cultural references, but these commercials are memorable. It's not too hard for me to accept that the overall goal is simply to get me to remember their product, but I want to believe there's something more significant this trend of sensationalism.
It's a trend that is apparent in the Korean Pop idol, Psy's new hit "Gangnam Style". In his lyrics he comments on Korea's upper middle class that goes to great lengths to appear more sophisticated by living up to their ideal image of a successful "westerner".

No comments:

Post a Comment