Saturday, September 1, 2012

Character: How Do They…Grr

I've never exactly had a "problem" coming up with characters. I have a major issue with coming up with ways of using character in stories to make them compelling. Maybe it's as simple as over thinking it all. I'll often have an idea for a story, but it is based around an event that unfolds in my head. I'll think, "OH! That's cool. Now how did all these characters get together to make this event happen?" I'll try to build a plot around that and it always ends up being forced and melodramatic. I enjoy dramatic stories, but there's a point where they have no impact and things are just happening for the sake of the story going onward. That's not enough!

A story should never just "happen". There needs to be a specific reason as to why things unfold to give them meaning. It's fine to build to an event, but it should have a rhythm that is consistent and guides an audience to a natural conclusion. The worst feeling in the world is being invested in a story that ends without real catharsis and/or resolution. That's why I can't stand a lot of movies lately that leave you hanging with a lot of loose ends. If some people enjoy that, good for them. Those endings should not be striven for, BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY EXCUSES FOR NOT COMING UP WITH A MEANINGFUL ENDING.

No comments:

Post a Comment