Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Stories, um, yeah about those

Part of reaching a solution is understanding a problem. I've always struggled at telling stories. If I can hold someone's attention, it's often because I'm sharing someone else's stories. The only explanation is that I have a hard time evaluating my ideas. I have to trust that my stories are worth telling, because if I don't believe in them then there's nothing worth sharing. I have good ideas. I do. I just can't figure how to tell them.

I personally hate the idea of writing for an audience. Sure, it's the foundation of figuring how to hold anyone's attention, but I hate it just the same. It would be nice if it could be as simple as just telling the story or just producing whatever it is you want to make, and then whoever wants to can enjoy it can do so at their own discretion. The problem is there's no power in that. I've spent far too much valuable time trying to figure out what people want and trying my hardest to please them. My feeling this way should be an indicator to me that I shouldn't make stories to "please" anyone. I should think about my idea, and once I have it, decipher who would most likely find it pleasing.

I need to think of this, not in the sense of catering to an audience, but learning to attract an audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment