Thursday, November 1, 2012

Getting Attention

Walking along the streets of Kansas City on Halloween has its benefits. The heightened awareness of my surroundings, mainly watching out for the crazies, brought this sign to my attention.
In my case, all it takes is for an ad to be clever. I immediately wanted to know more, because I felt there was some information I was lacking. It was like there was some bigger joke i didn't want to be left out of. The sign ended up being an ad for a local law firm.
I am seeing a growing popularity in ads adapting to this idea that all it takes is to get noticed. Just maybe someone will share this on their popular tumblr, then the ad will be seen by all of their dedicated followers. It's fascinating how advertising has developed around this idea that you just have to be memorable. If it gets people's attention, regardless of wether it is good, then it has achieved its purpose.
This is definitely what drives a lot of propaganda. The message is often hard to grasp and poorly constructed, but all that is needed is for the message to spread and it will eventually sink in by playing on people's fears or expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment